Vitamin B12 is a member of the B-complex family of water-soluble vitamins. Vitamin B12 has numerous functions in the body including, stimulating red blood cell production, support of healthy nerve function, and the metabolism of homocysteine.† Low levels of vitamin B12 are often seen in vegetarians, as plant foods lack vitamin B12, and also in elderly people as their ability to absorb B12 from food is limited. The absorption of B12 requires a protein called intrinsic factor which is secreted by cells in the stomach. Elderly people secrete less intrinsic factors and therefore absorb less vitamin B12. Consuming a Methyl B12 lozenge helps avoid any problems with absorption as it is dissolved in the mouth, and the B12 is absorbed directly into the bloodstream.† This helps provide significant amounts of B12 without concern for GI absorption.† The synergistic nutrients folate, B6, and biotin are provided for added support.
- High potency formula containing 3,000mcg of methylcobalamin.
- The formula also contains 400mcg of folic acid, 300mcg of biotin, and 10mg of B-6.
- Convenient dosage; lozenge dissolves under the tongue.
- Great tasting cherry flavor.
- Methylcobalamin is more bioactive than cyanocobalamin, which has to be converted by the liver to the active coenzyme form methylcobalamin before it can function in the body.†
- Methylcobalamin aids in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine, supporting healthy blood homocysteine levels.†
- Vitamin B-6 and folic acid work synergistically with methyl B-12 to promote healthy blood homocysteine levels.†
- Methylcobalamin helps donate a methyl group to form SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) which helps support healthy brain function and liver detoxification.†
- Methylcobalamin is essential for the production of normal, healthy myelin; protects the nervous system, and supports its function.†
- Biotin along with B12 helps support fatty acid, amino acid, and carbohydrate metabolism.†
- Vitamin B-12 and folic acid support healthy red blood cell production, essential for oxygen transport throughout the body.†
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency generally increases with age because of decreased levels of intrinsic factor a protein normally produced by the stomach and which aids in B12 absorption.†
- Ideal source for vegan/vegetarians who are at greater risk for vitamin B-12 deficiency.†